Wednesday, May 4, 2011

HERE BURNS MY CANDLE by Liz Curtis Higgs


This is a hard review for me to write. Why? Because although I thought the author did a great job of creating a very accurate picture of the times and people and situations that took place in this story, it was a time and place I just didn't have alot of interest in. Although I must say when I finished I felt I gained a better of understanding of the situations that took place in in Scotland in 1745. This for me was a very "dark" (for lack of a better word) story, where everything does not turn out "happily ever after" and showed the hardships that people face in a time of bitter war. I had a hard time getting into the story, but by the end I was reading faster to see how it would all turn out. It is not a lighthearted story, but as true a story as fiction can be. I read someone who said it is a more modern story of the book of Ruth in the Bible, and I would agree with the analogy.

Elizabeth Kerr is a Highlander by birth and has married and is now Lady Elizabeth Kerr. She lives with her husband Donald, her mother-in-law, Marjory and Donald's brother and his wife in Edinburgh. Prince Charlie and his army come into town to capture the crown and enlist the help of the Kerr men. The whole family seems to have secrets from their past (and present) and it all comes out eventually. Tragedy happens, but so does love and forgiveness and hope. There is betrayal, lies, war, love, cruelty and a spark of hope that keeps on burning. I would like to thank WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for sending me this book for review. (The book has a great cover and so does its sequel.)

No comments: