Friday, May 20, 2011

VEILED FREEDOM by J. M. Windle


This was a well written story, a fiction story filled with what I am sure is alot of real life truth to it. I feel like I know so much more about life in Kabul, Afghanistan and the dangers, the challenges and the heartaches of the people who live there. Be prepared for danger, hostility, anger and alot of disillusion with the people in power. What you won't find in this story is alot of "happily ever after" and romance and the ability to figure out the whole story line quickly (which is what alot of the books I read are like and which I enjoy reading). This book opened my eyes to the power of the human spirit and the power of the word of God to change people.

Steve Wilson is returning to Kabul as a Special Forces veteran to Afghanistan 8 years earlier and is now there as security chief to the minister of interior. He has hardened his heart to just do his job and not let any feelings get in his way; even when he sees the corruption and violence all around him. Amy Mallory arrives in Afghanistan as a relief worker who sets out to "change the world", but soon finds out her goals may be a little harder than she anticipated. Her eyes are opened to how things really work in the lives of these people, especially the women. Then there is Jamil, her interpreter and Afghan helper. He is full of mystery, hatred and questions. This was a story I won't soon forget. I feel I got a real education about this country by reading this book. I have read Jeanette Windle books before and she really knows the countries she writes about. I am looking forward to reading book two, "Freedom Stands", next.

No comments: