Saturday, July 17, 2010

A MENDING at the EDGE by Jane Kirkpatrick

This is the third book in this series. I appreciated getting to know more about the German-American people who lived in the Aurora Colony in the 1800's. I was angry, sad, sorrowful, and sometimes happy as I read this book. I don't know how Emma Giesy did it back then (the story is based on actual records and diaries of this time). The way this colony was run sounds nice, (everyone works at jobs, no one owns anything, everyone shares and pools their monies together), but someone has to be in charge and that someone is a flawed person who will oftentimes think of himself more highly than he ought to think. Telling someone where they must live, when they can have a place of their own, who will raise your children, who and if you can marry, I just don't think I could have endured it, but at the same time, what choices did Emma have?? She was a women who was in a bad marriage, not on good terms with her family, not accepted well by the colony because of her outspoken ways, and left trying to befriend the downtrodden women she comes in contact with. I admire her and at the same time feel sorry for her. At times I would get so mad I just wanted to throw the book across the room. An interesting and enlightening story.

No comments: