Saturday, February 4, 2012

WHEN THE SMOKE CLEARS by Lynette Eason

This was an intense story with alot of mystery, intrigue, suspense and some romance. It was a story I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to see what would happen next. And it isn't often that you don't know "who did it", but this story really keeps you guessing! I liked it alot!! My only regret is that book two in the series isn't out yet, so I can pick up where this story left off.

There are 3 girls who are graduating from high school and who have been friends forever. On the night of graduation one of them sees something she shouldn't and flees in the night, not telling her friends where she is going or what she saw. Fast forward 10 years and you find one of the girls as a "smokejumper" who after a near death experience with a fire, finds herself taking time off for an incident that is under investigation. She goes back home after 10 years for a reunion and things really start to happen. You have a mother Alexia needs to learn to love, a murder she needs to prove she didn't do, and a handsome detective she needs to try not to fall for. There is trouble following her wherever she goes. You have murder, arson, forgiveness and love all rolled up into one week in the life of Alexia. Yes, just one week, but my oh my what a week you will live through as you read this book.

I loved the day and time sequences in this story. I also loved the spiritual message woven throughout its pages and the verses that tied it all together for me were, "When I am afrraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I Trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?" (Psalm 56) Detective Hunter said it well, "bad stuff happens. It's a fallen world. . . God's not picking on you (Alexia) . . . But he wants to be there for you to get you through it." The author did a fantastic job on this story and left the door wide open for its sequel. I can only say, "get busy Lynette Eason! I am anxious to read the next story in this series!". I knew I was going to like her book when I read her dedication page and her beginning verse before her story started. Give yourself some time when you start this book, because you will have a hard time putting it down until you finish.
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Revell (February 1, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0800720075
ISBN-13: 978-0800720070

No comments: