Friday, June 1, 2012

THE BRIDE WORE BLUE by Mona Hodgson

This is book 3 in the Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek series and I have two observations right up front: 1) I loved the covers and the titles of each of these books and 2) the more books in the series I read the more I grew to enjoy the Cripple Creek town and the Sinclair sisters. They really grow on you. I was pleasantly surprised to see that book 4 is coming out in this series in October 2012. I will look forward to reading it!

This story was about the youngest Sinclair sister, Vivian. She arrives in Cripple Creek and finally all the sisters are in Cripple Creek, Colorado. Vivian is warmly welcomed by her sisters, but Vivian is keeping a secret from her sisters and she can't bring herself to confide in those she loves. She also can't find a job doing what she loves most, designing clothes. She can't seem to find a job doing anything. Her choices are limited and she makes some wrong decisions. She finds herself wrestling with pride, deceit, lies, hiding and sneaking and it all catches up with her in the end. There is one man in town though who never gives up on her and his ability to forgive and show grace to her is the beginning of Vivian's healing.

It is not often that when you read a series of books they get better as you go, but in this series I would say the more I read, the more I was pulled into the lives of the people in the town and in the family. There is also a dear Miss Hattie in the story who I have come to love. My one slight critique is that in the town of Cripple Creek news gets around faster than the wind blows, so I am not sure how Vivian was able to keep her one job a secret for as long as she did. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

There is always a good message or lesson to ponder after reading these stories and I appreciated at the end how you can't judge someone always by their outward appearance or situation in life until you come to know all the facts about that person. I also enjoyed the fact that the author always incorporated into each of her stories historical people that actually existed in the late 1800s. Good job Mona Hodgson! And thanks goes to LibraryThing for sending me this book for my review.
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: WaterBrook Press (May 8, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0307730301
ISBN-13: 978-0307730305

No comments: