Saturday, March 22, 2014

PERSUASION by Jane Austin

For all you Jane Austin fans I am sorry, but I just have a hard time "loving" her work.  The story line I enjoyed; Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth have met and became engaged long before the story began, but Anne was "persuaded" to give up the engagement and the Captain goes off to sea. The book is about how Anne never stopped  loving him, and her growth as she begins to see that her own judgement is far better than the people around her when they meet again years later.  I liked the maturity of both characters as they meet again after  their years of being apart.  But what I have a really hard time with is the writing style I guess.  It was really hard to stay focused and figure what was really being said.  I must confess that having watched the movie helped me understand what was going on in the book.  I am glad I read this story, if for no other reason than to say I know her work, but I am not a big fan of her writing style, like so many others seem to be.

No comments: