Sunday, January 19, 2014

THUNDER VOICE by S.W. Brouwer

This was a first for me I think.  First in that I read book one in this series, "Morning Star" and then skipped right to the last book in the series, this one.  (I would have read books 2 and 3 if I had owned them, but I only owned these two.)  I must say this author certainly can write an authentic western story and packs it full of mystery and intrigue.  I had to keep reading to figure out who were the ones to be trusted and who weren't.  And it was very difficult to decide with some of the characters in this story.  This is a story that would appeal to the guys and the gals.  There was a hint of romance in it, but the story wasn't centered around it.

Marshal Samuel Keaton finds a town drunk dead in a shack.  That in itself wouldn't be surprising except for the guy was shot in the back and then what they did to the body afterwards was shocking.  But when folks start to show up in town and asking questions about the gentleman, Sam starts to get really suspicious.  An Eastern lady comes to town and wants to employ Sam to help her solve the mystery of this gentleman and how it all ties in to her sister be murdered back East.  So Sam finds himself leaving the rugged Wyoming   territory he has come to love and getting a glimpse of city life and its charm and its perils.  He finds more mysteries than he does answers and has a hard time knowing who he can trust.  But in the end it will all become clear and Samuel will get the best surprise of all.

I would highly recommend these two books in the series.  I appreciated the way the author writes and his ability to put you  in back in time and have you understand and feel how it was to be a part of the year 1876.  You got to see what Samuel Keaton was feeling and thinking and tried right along with him to figure out the big mystery.  I am glad I read the first and last because I got  to know all the characters and then see how the author brought them to completion at the end.  Saddle up and get ready for a ride that will keep you guessing until the very end.

No comments: