Monday, August 29, 2011

YESTERDAY'S TOMORROW by Catherine West

A heart-wrenching story of love amidst the agony of the Vietnam war. I don't often give out 5 stars to books, but this book is one that will stick in my mind for awhile. This story brought out alot of different emotions as I was reading it and near the end there were a few tears shed. I believe this is the first book I have read that took place during the Vietnam War and was written in a way that didn't really take sides with whether there should or shouldn't have been a war, but rather what those who were over there had to endure. This was a very well written story by Catherine West.

Kristin Taylor finds herself in Vietnam looking for work as a overseas war correspondent, and also trying to find her brother, Teddy, who is somewhere in Vietnam as a medic. She winds up (in a very humorous way) meeting Luke Maddox, a brooding, hard to get close to photographer, who has alot of mystery to him. Together they are thrown together and although they can't stand each other at first, that quickly turns around into a very well done tender love story. The people and places you will meet along the way in this story will keep you intent upon this story; not wanting to put in down until the very end. I wasn't sure by the cover of this book, whether or not I would enjoy the story, but I must say the book captivated me from the very beginning and didn't disappoint me in any way (and after having read the story, I fully understand the cover). I give you what I feel sums up for me the "meaning" behind the story from the book, "Nothing happens by accident, . . . . . We may never know why things happened the way they did. But I don't think that matters. What matters is how we grow through the struggles we're given." A wonderful lesson for us all. This is a story I highly recommend.

1 comment:

Sherry Kuhn said...

I see you liked it as much as I did! :)