Wednesday, September 21, 2011

THERE YOU'LL FIND ME by Jenny B. Jones

This was my first time reading anything by this author, but it won't be my last. I found this to be a very good story with a great message weaved throughout the book, with a great conclusion to that message at the end. Although the cover intrigued me, I didn't feel like it captured the story line really well. I laughed and enjoyed the "banter" that went back and forth between the two main characters, Finley and Beckett, and also loved the way Finley and Mrs. Sweeney "got along". There was alot of different emotions going on with me throughout the book and it was a story that was hard for me to put down, until I read how the author was going to end this one.

Finley finds herself on a plane to Ireland, trying to find the places her brother wrote about in his journal (before he died tragically overseas). She wants to get her life, her faith and her music back, which she lost when he died. "Where was God when my brother died? Where was God when I was at rock bottom" - these are the questions Finley keeps asking herself. She finds herself sitting by movie star heart-throb, Beckett Rush on the plane and the fun begins with their constant "baiting" each other in their conversations. Beckett and Finley are thrown together alot while he works on a movie and she is going to school and that whole part of the book was very well written. I really liked Beckett's advice to Finely at one time in the story when she couldn't understand her feelings towards God, he said, "Maybe you should stop going by what you feel. And start going by what you know is truth." Finley also runs across another lady at the school who continues to give her good advice, Sister Maria, like "the world can be ugly, but your heart doesn't have to be."
Then there is also a old lady, Mrs. Sweeney, who Finley has as an assignment at school, she must spend time with her and get to know her. This is a lady who has had a miserable past. She also gives Finley some great advice and the one I liked the best was, "Don't hang on to old hurts. You can spend your years blaming God, blaming other people, but in the end it was a choice". The book was filled with gems like this throughout this story and I loved it. I have many more good quotes highlighted in my book, but I won't continue to give them all away; but I hope folks will read this story and find more gems for themselves, and find out if Finley can piece back together her life with God's help. It really had a good message to it and a good story line. Well worth reading!! Good job Jenny B. Jones!
A special thanks goes to Thomas Nelson Publishers who through NetGalley provided me with this book to read and review.

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Thomas Nelson (October 4, 2011)
ISBN-10: 1595545409
ISBN-13: 978-1595545404

1 comment:

Sherry Kuhn said...

Great review. It's what I'm reading next!