Thursday, July 14, 2011

The PROMISE of PEACE by Carol Umberger


This book was #4 in the Scottish Crown Series and also the last book in this series. I was not disappointed at all with this series, in fact I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading these stories! Carol Umberger has done a terrific job of making the history of Scotland in the 1300's come alive. Robert the Bruce has long fought for independence from England for his Scotsmen and in this story there seems to be some hope for peace.

Keifer McNab has not had an easy childhood, having to live with a foster family until he is old enough to claim his position as "laird" of his clan. You follow him as he grows up and goes on to train and become a knight, as he has no thoughts of ever marrying, but only of fighting for Scotland. The family that he finds himself living with has a young daughter, Nola, who is full of energy, love and a thirst to see more of the world. As you watch them both grow up into adulthood, you see how Nola has given her heart to Keifer, but he is determined to never marry. I enjoyed seeing them both struggle with their feelings and learning the meaning of unconditional love.

This story spans many years and although I thought at first is was a little slow, it quickly picked up and finished very well. There were alot of characters from the first three stories in this story which helped to tie them all together. I would recommend you read these in order to get the most out of the stories, especially for this last story. I can't say enough good about this series and although I considered not reading them at one time, I am so glad I didn't listen to myself. I thoroughly enjoyed every book!

No comments: